Looking up to the stars and being able to capture the view floating above you through a lens is something that you will want to do if you visit Yosemite National Park. The light pollution is minimal, even in the Valley so you will be able to see not only stars but planets, galaxies and there has been numerous reports of seeing ET!
Capturing the night sky is easy once you know how, the secrets to nighttime photography are explained in my Orion Workshop this August 26th. There will only be 8 spots available and I will teach you all the basic skills to capture the world above us.
Update 8/18/14: Class filled, please click here for next available class.
Basic skills you will learn:
- Correct settings for your camera
- Focusing in the dark
- Adjusting your exposure with histogram
- Finding the North Star
Advanced skills you will learn:
- Painting with artificial lights
- Star trails
- Night landscapes and the Milky Way
Equipment you will need:
- SLR or DSLR Camera (media card too :)!)
- Camera tripod (the sturdier the better)
- A finger to press the shutter button (very important)
- Wide Angle Lens (the wider the better and low F stop but not necessary bring what you got)
- Intervalometer or remote control
- 2-4 extra batteries (your batteries will die quickly)
- Headlamp (preferrable red)
- Chair for those long exposure times
- Sweater or jacket, it gets cold by 3am
- Snacks and drinks
The best thing about the class is that it is free and I will be bring my world famous hot cocoa, I am serious about the hot cocoa. I get requests for this hot cocoa all the way from Siberia and it is too hot to drink hot cocoa in Siberia. That’s how good it is! When I did this class at Bryce we filled up quick so send me an email here and I’ll let you know where we will meet and if we still have spaces available.
I just sent you an email, looking forward to your response. Thank you, sir.
Hi Matilda, I sent you and your husband an email. We are happy you will make it! 🙂
Absolutely loved your class, you are so much fun and informative. I can’t believe the shots I was able to get with my Cannon Rebel, you were so helpful and took a great deal of time with each one of us. Since my girlfriend and I were newbies at photography we were afraid this class would be too much for us but your explanations were so simple they made perfect sense. I cannot wait to do some star trails the next time the moon isn’t as bright again. Thank you again for your free class.
Thank you Matilda, we had a great time hanging out with you. Hopefully next time we won’t have problems with your extra battery.
I wish I was up there. :/
Next time Bruce. 🙂
Any more spots open?
3 more Neville, I’ll email you the info. Hope to see you there.